Pages

Monday, July 1, 2013

Out and About with Omma

I was with my family for a week, and we walked the neighborhood every day, but I have to be honest, I'm not sure if I could find their home. There are so many alleys and streets, that it's hard for me to remember. I am intrigued by the buildings and noises that you may hear coming from the other side of the walls....





I am fairly sure that this is some sort of school. 


Plants are appreciated. People seem to have potted plants everywhere.






I am always intrigued by the beautiful gates, wondering who lives behind them, what does it look like.

My family in Korea are entrepreneurs. My 3rd sister's salon. 




Aboji's real estate office.



1st sister's restaurant is in the distance.



The hills are in my family's neighborhood. To be honest, I'm not sure how people are able to drive let alone walk these steep hills during the winter time. Last year my omma had knee surgery. I can't imagine her walking these hills and then walking the 3 flights of steps up their apartment. However, if anyone could do it, she can. 
Most of my time is spent with my omma. Many times I stare at her and attempt to process that this woman is the woman who carried me for 9 months, who could not look at me when I was born or hold me, went back to take me home but couldn't and had prayed for my well being from the time I left her side...sometimes I think this is still a dream...I love when she laughs. From the few words that I know I have been able to make her laugh. And, even though half of the time I have no idea what is being said to me, she tells the translator at our meeting that she believes that I can understand every single word that she says. I am embarrassed and proud to say that she does not let me carry a 30 pound tub down to a taxi. (people, she is in her 70s!) I try to take it from her, but she keeps batting me away. She does not allow me to help at all, and has even given up her bed for me... I believe this inner strength she has, has been passed down to her daughters and has made her a survivor as well. 



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Parker, this is beautiful. I'm so glad you were able to make this journey. Thanks for sharing it with all of us! xo

    ReplyDelete